.

.

Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Land of Rain and Shine‏

Manahoana yall! Yup, rainy season is here. The days are burning hot, hotter than I have ever felt in my entire life. And then a huge storm comes in the evening and just pours and pours and pours buckets of rain that turn all the paths into straight slip and slides. My rain jacket is very handy. Needless to say, while all the Malagasies run and hide we missionaries go forward no matter what. What's a little water anyway
     I have learned that Malagasies take onamonapia  to a whole new level. What would be the verb in Malagasy to make a noise like a machine gun (a gun with many mouths as they call it) you might ask? Mitatatata. Yup. say that ten times fast and suddenly you become the machine gun.
     The work of the Lord keeps rolling forth, unstoppable, untiring, no matter the lack of skill on the part of His servant. This week we focused on preparing F for her baptism interview (which she passed! Although apparently we have to clarify some things about living prophets with her). Then on our ward activity, which we had on Saturday. We were extremely blessed, the activity went very well despite all attempts by the technology we used to prevent its success. Focused on how the ward members and missionaries can work together in a more effective way to help improve the ward in areas such as retention, reactivation, and member present lessons. We also spent time divided into groups discussing the individual aspects of the message of the Restoration to help members know the missionary lessons better. We had some great help from people in the bishopric and such.
     We did have some days that taught/reinforced a very good lesson to me-- that we, the missionaries, have absolutely no control over the results. We only control what is put in. It is the same with all aspects of life, not just missionary work,  what comes out of our efforts is in the Lord's hands. Me and Elder Thia have encountered numberless problems in the lives of our investigators, many having to do with the fact that they are poor and need food and at the same time need to obey Gods commandments, things like that. But we, as the missionaries, are not here to force. That would be directly contrary to what we teach. We do not force but rather invite others to increase their faith, take steps in the right direction even if it is hard, and overcome the obstacles that exist in life. There is very much resistance to the work of salvation in this area, opposition, but compared to the power of the work it is opposing it is but a mere moka (mosquito). We put in the effort. We invite. They commit, make decisions. And the Lord provides.
     A funny experience I will share from the week-- first of all, it should be known that this week Elder Thia was in charge of all the lessons because that is how the training program is. He leads, teaches, closes, and I am there for support (and to teach and add and prevent disasters, of course). So he was in charge of teaching F, E's daughter, the law of chastity in preparation for baptism. Which is like okay, no big deal, just a little bit harder and more awkward because she is a girl close in age but whatever. No problem for him. But of course (I'm laughing inside just thinking about this) when we get to her house to teach them, not only are F and E there but E's other two daughters as well, who are also like our exact same age (give or take). hahaha. Now its Elder Thia teaching four women, three of whom are basically his age, the law of chastity! hahah good times good times, I thought it was hilarious, but maybe at the time he didn't think it was quite as funny as I did. A new elder, still not mahay at the language, having only taught this lesson once before, is in charge of teaching it in a situation like that. I helped him out, as did the male member help we had there, which really made a big, helpful, difference. I will now cross that one off the bucket list.
     Still struggling getting investigators to church, but there was a silver lining this Sunday-- Papa L and his entire family came! That is five, maybe six, inactives and three investigators! We were very happy to see them. Church is still the hardest aspect of the work for us. I'm not sure if people are just lazy, need stronger faith, or don't understand. We have been focusing a lot on figuring out what exactly is the obstacle and praying to help them overcome it and come to church. Tsikelikely.
     And oh, the R's (a family I  absolutely love in the ward) daughter came home from her Temple square mission on thursday! She is super cool and good at English. She was the first Malagasy to serve in Temple Square.
Mom:
     Hmmmm, what to tell the ward... nothing in particular I think. Just maybe that God is still a God of miracles, no matter whether you are in Madagascar or in Washington!
      In the Thanksgiving spirit, all I say is to be grateful. For family, for friends, for prayer, for love, for shelter, for food, for strength, for health, for education, for hope, for opportunity, for courage, for obedience, for faith-- because somewhere in the world is someone who does not have these. I sure am grateful, more grateful than I ever have been before.

 
Love
Elder Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment