.

.

Friday, June 21, 2013

The Last email from the USA!

Manahoana ny fianakaviako! Inona no vaovao? (hello the family of mine. what is new? your response is tsisy, which means "nothing")
 
My last email from the USA! 4 days till the most ridiculous couple months of my life begin, woohoo!
 
This week has not been especially eventful, just trying to speak in Malagasy as much as possible and study hard and attempt to prepare ourselves for being completely oblivious about what people are saying for the next month or two! It has been busy for Elder Christiansen and I as we are in charge of working with all the 14 new lithuanian/armenian missionaries that just came yesterday, giving them instruction on the basics of MTC life and missionary work. We were called as zone leaders last Sunday (for just a week! so basically we do everything for the first and last time this week).
 
Found out recently that the two new Greek [Mission] elders we have, one who is from Scotland and the other from England, both played semi-professional soccer over there, awesome! We were able to play with them the last couple gym times. (One of these elders has the coolest conversion story I have ever heard in my entire life, hopefully I will be able to share it soon, if possible). According to what I have been told I will be playing plenty of soccer with the Malagasy people over there, so thankfully I will be able to get a good amount of soccer these next two years.
 
So, there was an elder in my district who was refusing to get any malaria pills or take them once out in the field, believing that these oil rub things he had were all he needed and he didn't want to take such bad pills etc etc. Anyway, we were all trying to convince him he needed to get them and take them once we get there, but it was to no avail...until the MTC doctor's office called him in and told him they were going to transfer him to another mission if he refused to take the pills. They meant business! He was really mad about it, but agreed thank goodness. From what I know malaria isnt something you really want to get. So hopefully he will actually take them now! Also our teachers here have given us some great advice on a lot of common sense stuff like that, such as how to avoid getting eaten alive by fleas while sleeping for two years straight. (apparently that is hard to do, but possible!)  
 
We just realized the other day that this devotional on Sunday is going to be a much bigger deal than we originally thought. Not only is it the best 'departure devotional' in the world for us Malagasys leaving the next day, but it seems like the Church is launching a whole new program aimed at missionary work and members and stuff, it is going to be quite the devotional. If possible you should tune in, sounds like it will be important! (well of course, the prophet is speaking) Plus you will want to hear my vocal solo in the middle of called to serve......
 
I sure agree with [dad] that, the years at my doorstep will certainly be times never to be forgotten! As I am doing my personal study now I notice missionary scriptures[ie. Doctrine and Covenants 21:9] more than ever, and I realize that I am seeing, feeling, or noticing in some way how each of those is being fulfilled in my life. It is true, we missionaries feel those blessings every single hour of every day. At the same time we also are keenly aware of the great responsibility that we have. Indirectly quoting Elder Holland, this is salvation at stake here, it is important! Beyond important.
 
Well all, after this week email will bascially be the only form of communication for me because the mail system is sketchy/takes forever. I have enjoyed my time learning here at the MTC, but it is time to begin what I actually came out here for, inviting the people of Madagascar to come unto Christ. I will get completely destroyed by the language the first little while I am there, but I know I will still love it and have the best time of my life. The hard things in life are the only things really worth doing! Love you all!
 
Amin'ny fitiavana sy ny foko rehetra,(with love and the heart of mine all)
Elder Fox
                       Chance and his district at the temple and also "The Map".
 

No comments:

Post a Comment