Shout out from Mada to America! Hope all is well etc etc
Mihatsaravelatsihy means to be hypocritical. Want to know how I happened to learn such a word as that, that I had no intention of learning for at least another two years? Last night we met with an inactive member and her nonmember husband and ended up having a good long discussion about hypocrites and Christians and baptism and child baptism and things like that! I got to open up to Moroni 8. I had always wanted to read that chapter with someone cause its so powerful and awesome, so that was fun.So the rains have come! This is how it goes these days: during the day until about 5 it is burning hot and cloudless and I feel like I am going to die, and then at 5 or 6 huge thunderstorms roll in and drop the most massive amount of water I have ever seen and I still feel like I am going to die. Good thing a couple of our investigators forced me to take their umbrella the other day, cause things got pretty wet around here... not to mention the hail we had the other day was cool.
COOLEST THING EVER. I almost forgot, but our bishop is in the Ensign/Liahona [LDS magazines]!!! In the Oct 2013 one there is his conversion story, titled Becoming a Man of Peace. And then there is also another story in the Sept 2013 one called Gathering of the Madagascar Saints about members near Antsirabe. Miraculous things are going on here!
There is a Mormon Helping Hands project going on in my area that we got to help out with (and will more this week) carrying rocks on bags on our backs in true Mada style. It was the best work out I have gotten since leaving home. We are helping build a path and put in piping and such to help it drain better in the rain and things (or at least that is what I assume). We are going to try to go to it everyday this week.
Taught our English class the American national anthem and then sang it for them. Enough said. Win.
So, now that I got all that random but somewhat interesting stuff out of the way, on to what really matters, the work! I'm going to give a brief report on a few of the investigators we are currently working the hardest with.
C-- Learner at the university from way up north in the middle of the jungle, 19 years old, gnarly, awesome accent. Has amazing faith, reads the BiM [Book of Mormon-Malagasy] like a champ and asks truly sincere and interested questions. Every night we leave lessons with him instantly makes it a great night. We are currently on the POS [Plan of Salvation] with him, and are working hard with him to prepare him for a baptism date, Dec 7. Still needs to come to church though, so that is the biggest thing now. He really wants to come, it has just been hard coordinating. We are trying to set up a soiree [meeting-French] to get him with members.
O/B-- in 20s. We have become great friends with them, love every one of our visits, and really seem to connect with gospel. We recently had a great lesson on the Tree of Life vision and connected the POS to the Gospel through that. There are obstacles... So the road is long, but I have faith! If truly converted then they will be willing to overcome anything.
J and family-- An ex-pastor (I think) who loves the bible, has great knowledge and insights (I'm pretty positive I learn more from him than he does from me) and faith. Loves the BiM too, but needs to read it more! That is our biggest job now, as well as getting him to church. He has only come once. I'm excited for our lesson with him tonight though, we have a great scripture activity prepared to get him and his family more into reading the BiM that involves a lot of connecting verses in Bible and BiM to build their relationship and importance more. And then, of course, we will finish our night with a game of UNO, a necessity of course. Right...?
T-- Guy in 20's, already diligent in coming to church, hasn't missed for two months. He asks TONS of questions, so my Malagasy skills are always stretched to the limit with him. Preparing him for baptism on Dec.7 as well, and working hard to help him rely more on faith than knowledge! We have become great friends, which has really helped in teaching him. Reads the BiM like a pro and analyzes everything better than Jameson does Robert Frost (if that's possible).
F-- She is 18ish, used to be way into another church, but now has really become interested. Just barely started, last thing we had done was give her devoir [work-French] in Mosiah 18, to prepare her for talking about baptism! .
P and family-- the dad, not a member but already learned tons before. Wife, and kids are all members but inactive, but mom has come to church a few times recently so she is improving. P says he wants to wait to be baptized with his granddaughter, who is 4.... but this is the real question-- do you want to be baptized WITH your granddaughter or BAPTIZE your granddaughter? Think about that one huh.
K-- Middle aged dad who is a singer (why yes of course I have his CD! But no, I do not listen to it). Originally he was just a kind of yo-yo investigator, but has become more interested. He really connected with our discussion on Adam and Eve (which, weirdly enough, is my absolute favorite lesson to teach now besides the atonement) and the POS. He needs to come to church though!! He has come once only, and came away with great questions, but needs to come every week. His bap date is Nov 2, but that wont happen. Still working!
F and S-- Recently, as in yesterday!!!, reactivated. Super amazing, strong, loving people who are having the hardest time in the world right now, with just about everything. Work, money, school for the kids, new baby, supplies... we are doing our best to strengthen them spiritually. Life is about as unfair and ridiculous as golf. And that's saying a lot.
So that is a good portion of our biggest investigators right now, the ones we are working the most with. Awesome group of people. Prayers for them are always appreciated! I pray for them everyday.
Spiritual thought for y'all--- Ether 12:27. And God said, let there be patience and humility! and He assigned him to be a trainer at 2.5 months in. Hahaha. This verse is always powerful to me, and is especially so now. God is sure using the weak things of the world here in Mada!
Mazotoa fianakaviako! (Be diligent family!)
Am-pitiavana
Elder Fox
Elder Fox
(Elder Palmer and I made an original, delicious version of donut holes the other day that we have now called FP Balls. Let it be known that our creation shall soon be taking Madas epiceries by storm)
No comments:
Post a Comment