.

.

Thursday, October 24, 2013

An Amazing Weekend!

Salamamamamamamama!
So, as Elder Thia and I collapsed into bed on Sunday as we do just about every night, a thought came to my head that I voiced aloud to him. "You know what," I said, "I think we just went 4 for 12 out of the tribes of Israel at General Conference [a semi-annual two day broadcast from Salt Lake City--http://www.lds.org/general-conference/sessions/2013/10?lang=eng] today!" That was said because we had a pretty incredible weekend with Conference on Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday we were blessed to have C, J (but not the family sadly), F, and a Comorrian named S that we had just met the day before, come to Conference. I figured we had gotten a good four different tribes with us right there, cause C is middle-of-the-jungle-up-north man, J is just a basic normal Malagasy, F is from as far south on Mada as possible, and S is a Comorrian probably of some sort of crazy African/Arabic descent. Hmmm.... 33% is not bad for a first go I guess.
    But not just that, it was definitely the first time I have brought a Comorrian to conference with me before! He doesn't speak Malagasy, just French, Comorrian, and a little English, so we had to set up a French room for him and Elder Thia to watch conference together in. But the fact that he came to Conference wasn't even the coolest thing, it was something he said to Elder Thia when the Conference had just finished-- he said, "I feel like a cup that has been filled with the doctrine of truth and spirit" (something to that effect cause it was in french). WOAH. The Spirit crosses all spectrums of religion, language, hairstyle, skin color, accent, tree-climbing abilities, and skills to testify of what is true. And Conference was most certainly true.
     Both C and J loved it. C told me it was "milay be", meaning very cool haha so yes! Now how about they come to church next week.
But anyway wowzers was Conference amazing! I could spend this entire email and the next three talking about it, but I wont. I will just leave it at the fact that every talk struck me with more power, was more relatable than ever before, and  answered so many of my worries about our investigators that I almost bought a ticket to fly to Salt Lake to protest that it was over. Wowzers is the only description. One of my many favorite quotes came from Elder Holland's talk, something I found extremely relatable...something like this if I remember right, "if the bitter cup does not pass, drink it and be strong. Keep faith in better days to come." How very, very true. Minoa (active command of believe). Hereza (command of be strong).
    I was laughing inside like half the time dad, thinking of you because of all the talks and remarks on Home Teaching, you weren't lying when you said they hit it hard! So great, something all the priesthood desperately needs to hear. Shouldn't just be the Stake President's goal, but all of our personal goals, and personal desires to complete that responsibility.

Saturday and Sunday were naturally awesome because of General Conference, a great ending to a hard week. We were able to get many quality times with our investigators and it has helped me come to understand the principle of quality over quantity a little bit more, but boy are we doing our best for our investigators. And sometimes I'm just like gahhhh, if only I had the power to switch your personal agency on and off! But that sounds all too much like a plan that was thrust out of heaven thousands of years ago, so I decide I probably shouldn't force them to do their Alma 34 reading.
  
Mom:
I have yet to buy an umbrella but I do use the plastic bags, they work perfect! It hasn't been raining recently though, it is just burning "holy-cow-its-super-hot" hot.

Dad:
What an incredible story, thank you so much for taking the time for typing that and sending it to me this week. Simply incredible how much a life can change, even when all attempts to help just seem to lead to "fruitless results". That is inspiration and strength and hope that I have needed of late, that story could not have come at a more perfect time. It is so hard for me to remember, as I feel I did so well earlier in my life, that we are only in control of the effort and the input, not the results. We have been putting in our full efforts here to the point that we feel there is no more we can do and that we are going to collapse, and that is all we can do. I trust the results to the hands of the God of Miracles and beg for those miracles to come every day on my knees. Such a great lesson in that story, thanks again!

Dani:
I'm so glad the blessing was a good event, and hopefully that military life doesn't interfere with things too much. And yes,  Elder Thia and I are doing well together, no real problems. We speak in boring old English together though, sorry to disappoint... my Swahili is a little rusty.

Before I forget, here is a good phrase for y'all to know, mazava ho azy, which means obviously. Comes in very handy that one.

Thank you all for the prayers, both for me and my companion but more especially thank you all for the prayers for our investigators. We have felt those prayers and have already seen amazing things, and know the miracles will come! Kindof on the topic of what I said to dad, this is the spiritual thought for the week, something that Bro Burton told us in the MTC. "It is by grace you__________ (do anything) after ALL you can do." We are currently striving to fulfill the 'all you can do' part right now, and know that the grace of God will do the rest as is His will. A pretty amazing, and true, principle. Don't worry about the results, only the input.
Hereza!
 
Love,
Elder Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment