.

.

Sunday, March 30, 2014

A Tribute to a Fallen Soldier‏

a word for you all-- fiaramanidina, which means airplane (literally 'flying car'). However, here in Ft D we call it the fasanamanidina, which means flying grave, because you have left paradise and might as well bedead.

     What a week what a week.

      The Dolphin Slayers have taken a very hard hit this last weekend. Elder Hein is down and out for the count.

      Pres Adams, the mission nurse, and a big time doctor in South Africa had all been keeping close tabs on Hein to make sure his recovery was going well and that there was nothing broken or torn from his hurt wrist. Well, as recovery went on, he was able to move his finger more and more but his thumb was just chillin there, not moving or improving in any way. He had a skype call with the doctor in South Africa Friday morning about it, the SA doctor called a surgeon in Utah, talked to Pres Adams, and then, just as soon as he got here, Hein was leaving on a plane again. He got on a plane Saturday afternoon to Tana. However, he is not just going to Tana, or South Africa even, but America, to have surgery. WHAT. Apparently there is something destroyed pretty good in his wrist, a tendon of some sort, so he has to have a surgery back in the states.
     It was the most ridiculously insane Friday ever. We were even on a split that day, so me and Elder Rice (who was with me) were straight going crazy the entire day because we didn't know what the verdict was at that point. And then when Hein called us a couple times and told us the news it was a mind blow to all of us. So of course we threw a goodbye party for him, but it is not a permanent goodbye. He should be home for about 2 months or something for recovery then return, but we are not sure if he will be able to return back here to paradise (Ft D) or not.
      But even though its not a permanent bye bye don't worry, we gave him a good strong Hurrah for Israel! as he walked onto the plane.

     So what does that mean for Ft D? It means this-- I am back to going to church by myself. At least until next transfer in April we are going to be a trio. Great. As soon as we are able to have two missionaries in both branches it is ripped away from us! and this also means that I am going to be going (as much as possible which better be every single day or I'm going to be quite an unhappy camper) on a member split so I can work my area and the other two do work in A branch. T Branch needs specific attention, so I'm still going to be spending all my time over there I hope. Man, it had been so nice for those few weeks! The program we have now is going well, we have found lots of good people to teach and had been getting many investigators at church, so I just pray we will be able to keep it up even though working in a trio. Just as long as the member support is enough it will be fine and I won't stress out too bad. I feel like T branch is my project, my specific calling here in Ft D, it"s what I was called here to do (who knows if that is actually true, but thats my feeling about it!). So its going to happen, trio or no trio.

     But, on a different note, after taking Hein to the airport A branch had a baptism! which was awesomeee because it was three of my all time favorite investigators in their area that I taught for a long time before the areas split! A, H, and O! A very happy moment for me even though it wasn't a baptism for my own area haha. H and O both asked me to baptize them. I gladly did. So that was a first for me, baptizing people in an area other my own. (yes of course, I put up lots of pictures)
           A= happiest person in the entire world. His happiness exceeds all other happy people put together it is insane. I have never seen him anything but happy. he comes by our house every morning too and sells us yogurt. I eat probably about 6 yogurts a day thanks to him
            H= One of the smartest investigators I have ever taught. Just a poor, single mother of 3 (I think) who sells fruit and stuff, but is absolutely brilliant. Give her a month or two and she will understand the gospel better than I do.
            O= My man. For some reason, I don't exactly know why, we just became awesome friends back when I taught him and have been good friends ever since. A quiet kid (he is 16) but very diligent. I always liked teaching him.
 


Baptism

Fox + A + Indian Ocean = YES!




     We had a good ward council soiree with a less active on Thurs. Not that the soiree was especially good, but just the fact that we have gotten T branch to act is what makes it so good. There is nothing a branch, leader, or member can do that is better than personally meeting with, spending time with, and connecting with those who are in need. Pres Adams calls it 'the secret sauce'. Well, the secret has gotten out, and thank goodness T branch has started using it. (gotta love three hour stuck in a burning hot room with all the doors and windows closed, shout out to my boy Elder Hein who loved every second of it!)
   
     Right before the soiree a random bearded, Indian/middle eastern man pulls up in his car next to us and asked us where we are going. I told him. He then told us to get in his car, so we did, and he drove us there. The air conditioning was blasting so cold in there it was the most pleasant, awesome thing ever. Just have to enjoy those little acts of kindness that people show to you, especially when you are a poor sweating American missionary in a burning tropical city walking everywhere. Thank you, dear sweet mysterious beard man.

      Had many good other lessons this week, including the lesson we had with our pastor friend. It went very well! He is very interested, likes the teaching, and has come to church twice and participates in all the discussions. He isn't a pastor anymore apparently, he stopped a little while ago because of some problems that went on. The only thing is that he lives about 2 and a half hour walking from the church... but he comes to church and even comes all the way here to learn on Tues! so we teach him! normally I would be hesitant because it is far too easy to go less active when you have to walk that far, but he is diligent. He is a very nice, happy guy as well.

     Mom:
Heins wrist=bad (obviously haha)
Laundry= in a washing machine in the house
Weird food= habobo--- cooked antandroy milk that is like a mix of milk, yogurt, and curdled cheese weirdness. Strangely enough, by the end of eating I somewhat liked it... I'm going to be so weird when I get home...

     An Elder Fox thought to share-- life would be sooo boring if it weren't hard. So guess what? Its hard. We never have a chance to sit still and get used to an easy routine because that would absolutely ruin the point of our being here on earth. A mission is like 39 years of life shoved into 2 years, so that you are never sitting still, there is always, always a new challenge that must be faced and new situations to be adapted to and overcome. And I am so grateful for that, because I am never bored!  Just something I have been thinking about recently. Call me weird, but I prefer to be climbing up the mountain to sitting down at the bottom bored out of my mind. Boredom is the worst, oh sooo horrible. 

Love
Elder Fox

(Shout out to the fallen soldier back in the land of freedom and Texans! eat lots of Mexican food for me)
 
In memory of the fallen warrior.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment