.

.

Monday, August 5, 2013

Izaho misoatra anareo betsaka! (thanks alot)

Well hello again all! Word of the week: anti-maola, which I bet you can guess what that means! craddle robber of course! definitely one of the most useful words I have learned thus far, teaching the law of chastity will be a breeze... oh and yeah, there are legitly 18 dialects of Malagasy. I assumed that they would all be relatively similar, but no, it is crazy, each one is basically a separate language. I better hit those books a little harder... (almost everyone speaks official Merina though, at least here in Tana)

This email will be a quicker one because we gotta hurry, most of this pday was spent at the croc farm, which is all the way across the city so it took up almost the whole day. It was super fun though, I will have to post the pictures soon...not to mention hitch hiking and stuff always adds to the adventure! plus seeing thousands of crocs was cool too!

This was a very good week, super hard as they all are, but it definitely just flew by. Every day takes forever and every week like a second. I went on a split with a missionary from my MTC group, Elder Fisher, in my area. it was the funnest thing ever going around teaching amazing people in a language neither of us speak! It went very well though, we were blessed. I would almost prefer doing that all day every day because you learn more when you can't rely on someone who already is fluent. Our investigators are doing well, we have made significant steps with a couple, but for the most part are having trouble still with getting people progressing. We have been bringing the hammer down on commitments so hopefully things pick up. We can't expect progress if we aren't actively inviting them to take part in the gospel! even though that would be nice of course haha. 

We finally broke the ice with an investigator who Jensen began teaching just a little before I got here and he finally told us that he in fact did have a religion (he previously had said he didn't) and that he practiced Islam... so that definitely threw us a curveball! A very African version of it and not as strict, but we still have to take a different approach and tread with care. Any advice Jameson? 

Oh, randomly ran into a professor/researcher from Duke in one of our favorite restaurants who is here in Mada studying hibernating lemurs, very cool. We got to talk to him for a good while while we ate too. It was super interesting. I have found my new calling in life for sure!

Thank you to Chris/Wendy and fam, Diana/Steve and fam, Jon/Jani and fam, Rachel/Braeden and fam, Mom, and Dani, all those who wrote me from a crazy party in Utah! It was a fun letter to read. Izaho misoatra anareo betsaka! (thanks alot)

Thank you mom for the pic of Trygg and Kai, too cute haha! 

Time to book outta here and get a few things done before teaching two appointments tonight, love you all!

Love,
Elder Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment