.

.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Givin it up at the Hotel Madagascar‏

Good Morning to All and to All a Good Morning!

     You would not believe how hard it is to concentrate on an investigators sincere prayer after a good, spiritual lesson when you close your eyes as the prayer starts and hear a guitar solo floating in through the window that you soon realize is Hotel California by the one and only The Eagles. Oh my goodness, I tried so hard to focus I promise! I at least resisted the urge to start singing along with it, so I will call that a win. 

     Here is your word--- dobodoboka, which means to pound, and in like your heart.
     So what an awesome week! There is very much to tell, so I will start off with the story that came first. On Tuesday J took us to go begin teaching his sister (we think its his sister... or else his cousin. Something like that) because they have been having a hard time and he felt the need to share the missionaries with them. There was a death in his family recently and she, his cousin, is very sick with cancer and very difficult things like that. So anyway, we were honored to go with him to teach this couple, his sister/cousin and her husband. The lesson wasn't anything special, just a pretty normal get to know lesson that involved convincing them we actually know how to speak Malagasy and no, you do not need to talk to me in French, haha. But during the lesson I learned that they were the parents of a member in the ward, Fr H. Fr H and Sr D are the somewhat recently reactivated members who are the parents of the boy T, who we teach (and baptized yesterday). So I was a little like 'wow, this is super cool' in my head of course, during the lesson.      
         Because right after that time finished, Elder Thia and I went to teach T.  I told Fr H and Sr D that I had just met with his parents etc. etc. and they were beyond shocked and amazed and delighted. Because  before, Fr H's parents had been extremely against the church and had even refused to let other of their children and grandchildren go with Fr H and Sr D to church. It had been a huge problem, so much so that it was even one of the reasons they had been inactive before. 
     Fr H and Sr D, in recent weeks especially, had been praying for Fr H's parent's hearts to be softened and to be willing to be listen to the message of the church, and then, just literally a week or even days after they had been praying for their parents' Elder Fox comes by to tell them that they had just taught them for the first time. And it is all because of an investigator, not even a member yet, who wanted to share the message-- J. I was beyond happy that day, not for myself in any way but for Fr H and his family, who had patiently been waiting and praying for their parents to hear the gospel. I am more then blessed, humble, excited, and every other good adjective to have been able to play a part in answering the prayers of a family as wonderful as theirs. We taught them (Fr H's parents/ J's sister/cousin) again on Thurs. 

     And then to make this little white kid missionary (that's me btw) even happier, we ran into Fr H doing his hometeaching on wed! We were waiting at Th's house to teach him when Fr H, recently less active as I mentioned, and his companion, also named Fr H, who was also recently less active, showed up to do their hometeaching. BAM. The double-Fr H-recently-less-active-now-diligent-in-doing-their-responsibilities ultimate gospel attack. So great. I love both of those Fr H, both great guys. I'm not sure how they were ever less active.

     As previously mentioned, we had a baptism yesterday! For T, the 11 year old son of Fr H and Sr D. It was supposed to be on Saturday but we got to the church to find that the water was not working at the building. We were starting to fill the font by hand, taking buckets from a water spicket on church property, but soon even that water died. The entire area had 0 water. So, according to the wish of the bishopric, we did the baptism on Sunday, right after the end of our church. A little unorthodox, especially since we immediately proceeded to confirm him there at the church after the baptism, but no big deal. It was a very special event. I did the baptism. It is so inspiring and amazing to be able to take part in someone's life in such a special way, I felt very blessed. Hopefully there are many more of these to come for this area!
 
      Both G and R, the investigators I told you about last week, came to the baptism. Woohoooo. And, in case you have forgotten from last weeks email, they are two of the biggest winners I have ever met in my entire life. I am convinced G is going to come to Washington on his mission and that R will be Stake President within 3 hours of his baptism. Plus R has a sense of humor so similar to mine that I can't help but think he is the best. I'm so grateful to be good enough at the language to joke and enjoy and do things as a normal person and not a robot. The easiest investigators to teach are those who are your friends.

     Yet again E pulled through  and literally brought 5 investigators to church all by herself. One of them is her mother, who we are now teaching. And let me tell you, it is quite an adventure every lesson with her! Not only is she old so it's harder for her to understand white kids attempting to speak her language, but she is Antandroy through and through. Therefore, she understands official Malagasy (Merina) about as well as I can handle eating pineapple (I still don't eat it, in case you are wondering haha). So here is what happens when we teach her--- Elder Thia will teach something, and she won't understand. I will try translating and clarifying and she still won't understand. Our member help who is there with us will translate what I said again, and she still is somewhat confused. Then, either E or her daughter  will translate the teaching for the third time into Antandroy and suddenly it will be as clear and understandable as the noonday sun hahaha. Oh man, never thought it would take three translators to get a message across! Needless to say I have been learning lots of Antandroy from E's family.

     The work continues at nigh uncontrollable speeds for me and Elder Thia, we are more than blessed. The success we have been seeing here has nothing to do with our skill in any way, since the only thing we bring to the table is our hard work (which is very little to bring at that), but rather because of Him whose work it is. We pray hard to see the miracles we know are waiting to happen in the lives of people we teach. We sure hit the pillow hard every night if I can say anything at all.

Mom:
     Church was great, although we didn't get all the investigators there that we wanted. However, we still had several for which I am grateful. We have a good attendance in our Ward, about 180, although it sure feels like fewer than the number the bishopric gives us for the attendance. It is all in Malagasy, which is why I spend the first two hours of church translating for the Mission office couple.
 
 
     Spiritual thought for you all: 1 Nefia 1 to Moronia 10, Book of Mormon. Read it. Ill tell you all my thoughts about it when I get back. It is true. Therefore, go, do.
 
    And I'm not gonna lie, you can't get a much better calling than the one I am doing right now!
Love
Elder Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment