.

.

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Yup...Still Sweating!

Akory ianareo!
     So wow, I always thought 'rural' was a hard word to say. That was until I heard E drop this bomb on us, mirerirery, which is Antandroy for mivezivezy, which means to wander. And since in Malagasy you have to roll the R, it basically makes that word impossible to say. Unless, of course, you are a pro at making machine gun and helicopter noises, in which case I'm sure it is simple enough.... ririririririririririririririrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrri
     So wow, how about that, I have officially survived the first six months of my mission! I'm not quite sure how I have. I mostly attribute that success to E, ample quantities of rice, and a steady stream of 'vazaha!!' from cute little Malagasy children I sometime have the urge to punt all the way to the Comorros. But honestly, this milestone is quite a shock to me, because I feel like I have been here in Madagascar for about a day, but at the same time a lifetime plus some. I don't even remember the MTC, probably because the airplane ride here had about the same effect as the veil does before birth haha. I am beyond sincerely grateful for the prayers that have sustained me throughout these months, I could not have done it without you all. But by all means please do not stop now! If I ever want to make it just the next week even I need all the help I can get. These six months have been packed with enough experiences to fill an entire life; it's craziness. But still plenty left to go!
     I do not really have a lot to say about this week, it was a pretty hard one for sure. Had some great times with investigators, but also had some not so good ones and plenty where the person just wasn't there at all. It involved Elder Thia and I making the decision to drop certain investigators because we just have no time in our schedule for them and they refuse to progress and understand what living the gospel requires of them. O and B are two that we are no longer teaching, as is K. We planted a seed, and now we just hope the time comes somewhere in the future when they are ready to learn and put out effort. We have been accumulating plenty of new investigators and have much to do, so streamlining our program as much as possible is key. It's even harder for us since Elder Thia is technically supposed to get extra time for training and language in the morning due to the training program... but as they say, going out there and just doing it is the best practice! Which is actually very true.
     One funny story, about P, the cousin of O and B that we teach. A little while ago we taught him about prayer and the correct way to pray to our Heavenly Father. We literally spent like the enitre lesson on it because we noticed that he had been both opening and closing his prayers in the name of the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. So we were like no, that needs to go, let us teach him very thoroughly how it should be done. And of course, as we close the lesson we ask him to say the prayer after directly telling him how he needs to do it. And then what does he do? 'Oh sweet Father in Heaven, Christ and Holy Spirit we thank Thee...' hahah. Both me and Elder Thia look up at each other and almost bust up laughing in the middle of the prayer. But he actually ended in the name of Jesus Christ! So thats a start I guess. Tsikelikely (little by little) huh.
     In English class we taught them all the different types of facial hair. Yup.
Had an awesome ward soiree on Friday with one of the part member families we teach, Papa L. The entire family is less active, he is still not a member. Anyway, it was great. The Ward council came and basically sat down in their house and asked 'So why aren't you coming to church? What can we do to help you come?' and they went through every member of the family to ask why he or she was not coming to church. BOOM. That is exactly what needs to be done. Elder Thia and I are working hard with them, but we need the support of the Ward. And then, yesterday, Sr B came to church! (wife of Papa L) the rest of the family didn't, but at least she did! Tsikelikely.
     G, still awesome. He had been reading in the Gospel principles book and asking us questions about things like the law of chastity and eternal marriage before he had even received a BiM yet!
E is still taking her area by storm. There will be no nonmember left standing by the time she is done with that place. That is the member missionary work we like to see.

Mom: (answers to your questions)
1- No, sadly I do not get to play the piano. There is a keyboard in the church that I have played once when we were waiting for the bishop, but besides that I do not.
2- More pictures will be coming! The carrier lemur should be getting to America any time now;..
3- Investigators coming to church... that is our big problem right now. We feel we are doing all we can but the investigators we most need to come to church don't come.We have investigators at church every week, normally about six, but not the people we really need there. It is a huge struggle for us
4- I got the second package today! Misaotra betsaka tompoko! Thanks bunches.

This spitirual thought is for Dad--- James 1:22-25, 27. Go, do. That is true religion, getting out there and accomplishing things!

Love
Elder Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment