Shout out to Team America (even though not all the missionaries are American, I'd still like to have a little bit of national pride right) that pulled out the victory yet again today! It was a rainy day out there on the Ankorondrano pitch, but we took it to 'em and showed them how soccer is played. Grateful to my inspiration and hero, Elder Hein, for putting the team on his back just like Marshawn Lynch (that one is for you Elder Hein).
...but yeah, we won 4-1. Fun stuff.
There is a word you are going to need to know for todays email-- miady varotra. this means to bargain, or literally "to fight sell", and is exactly what Elder Christiansen and I did for a good two hours one day. Its a good story.
So Christiansen and I took a church worker to meet the patron of some land he was looking to buy for a new church building, and then translate for him. And translate we did, for a good two hours (way longer than we expected) in a super fun, in a ridiculous sort of way, with this rich lady who essentially spoke more French than she did Malagasy. She threw out excuse after excuse about random things that didn't matter or that were just attempts to cover the truth. It was intense. In the end we finally got down to the heart of it, and that was that she didn't care what the true market price of the land is, she was going to sell it for more expensive anyways because she wanted to improve her house here in Tana. Nice, nice one lady. So the church worker ended up not buying the land because this lady was stubborn beyond stubborn about the price. It was a very cool experience though, as I learned a lot of things about real estate, Malagasy culture, bribery (because she wanted the church to help her bribe the government people to drop the hugeee capital taxes that were about to destroy her pocket book ... fyi we told her we couldn't help her with that hahaha) I got pretty into it though, which meant I ended up doing a little bit more than just translating, I helped a bit in the hand to hand combat.
 |
| This little guy is ready to deliver the first punch...haha! |
This week was an interesting one, it certainly had its ups and downs. It has really driven home to me just how much I love true, getting down and dirty, teaching, preaching, mampibebaka-ing missionary work. Just today we taught a part member, part less active family who has a missionary out in the field who is coming home soon, about D & C 18, which is obviously the scripture that is on my missionary plaque. Oh how precious are people in the sight of God! It is so true. And every time I teach about that principle I feel that just as strongly over again. And every time I get to teach someone I feel just how true that is. Never forget it.
The ward is still pretty mampalahelo (sad), it's in need of help, like just about every ward in this country is. But that is what is great, it's the sick that need the doctor, so missionaries are needed even more and can do even more good because of just how mampalahelo and in need of help all these wards are. And that is about where we are at in a lot of this mission. It makes me think of something I read about Pres Hinckley who was always known for having an optimistic, cheerful outlook on everything. He would often say "things will work themselves out". And I echo that-- "things will work themselves out". They always do. Just put in some elbow grease, sweat, blood, tears here and there, and a smart mind with creative ideas, and you are there. Pray for the members and missionaries here. I know you already do, but if you don't it's never too late to start! haha. Ny vavaka manova zavatra (malagasy proverb meaning "prayer changes things". Is that not way true?)
Keep up the good work everybody. Remember who is really in charge. He makes sure that everything works out. Always. Not a single doubt in my mind. Know that I know that.
Love you all
Elder Fox
No comments:
Post a Comment