.

.

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Good Ole Vakinakaratra Right?‏

Aloha amigos

     Elder Fox here, reporting in after another wild week in Tana. But actually though it was a great week (but when isn't it right?) 
 
     We had a fun time getting to go on splits Tues and Wed. It was  quite an experience, let me tell you that. On Tues I went with Elder Covey and Ralaivao to a super cool area far outside of the city, where everyone lives far apart and farms and you have to bike ridiculous distances. It was that biking great distances part that just straight destroyed me, because my tush and legs aren't quite used to that type of stuff anymore hahah. It was a fun split. Malagasy hillbilly land.
 
 
Hillbilly countryside... riding bikes

Missionaries in Andranomanelatr

This is where we were riding bikes!
 
  And then the next day i went to the other  hillybilly land which is a ways south of the city in farm land where the only places to work besides a few larger houses near the road are groups of houses spread randomly around this big valley-like area. The missionaries there drive a truck, which is very called for considering the huge terrain and crazy roads those missionaries are dealing with. It was one of the weirdest splits I have ever been on, though, mostly because that branch has been experiencing quite the deluge of problems of all sorts and sizes. In just being there with the missionaries, it was like getting pulled into a huge battle zone.  Sometimes you gotta have a few tests and trials to make the church stronger. 
 
 
     A cool story when I was there. We were driving the truck to go visit somebody and talking as we went, about how much we wanted to find service opportunities to build some relationships and show some love in the communities, and were hoping that we would have an opportunity later that day. We get to the location and park the car. Immediately after we step out of the truck we hear someone yelling "misionera! misionera!" It was a family with their car parked on the side of the road. We go up to talk to them to find out that it is an ex-district president of the Reunion district, a Malagasy, who lives in Bordeaux now, but was here in Mada visiting his son. they had run 100% out of fuel and had no way of getting any more. Boom, service opportunity granted. We ran and filled up a container of gas for him and drove back to give to them to fill up (he paid us back). It was neat getting to talk to him about his life for a little bit too, he is a stud. But isn't that just wonderful how God works? I think it is.

     Later on in the week I got to go on a split with Elder Turner and Morse. It too was a good experience. It strengthened my testimony of just how important it is to listen to investigators and teach to their needs. They had been teaching this one guy for a long time and couldn't figure why he wouldn't accept a baptism date despite the fact that he had been extremely diligent for a long time in basically every other aspect of the gospel. I was blessed with the opportunity to use that as a teaching opportunity for the young (great awesome guys with huge and brilliant potential, but young) missionaries in how to ask questions and teach to what really concerns an investigator. Together we discovered that he had misconceptions about prayer, especially answers to prayer, that stemmed from not understanding the role of the Holy Ghost, which ultimately was the cause of his never accepting a bap date. We taught him how prayer is answered. He now realizes he is not likely going to get a vision as an answer to prayer! Missionary work is pretty amazing isn't it? I am so grateful for teaching opportunities like that.

     Besides that... H, an investigator of ours, passed his bap interview yesterday! Woohoo! I feel he is definitely ready, I love that guy. I'm hoping he will be able to serve a mission, he is about 21ish. 

     You can really feel the spirit in a Ward! It is that same spirit that testifies to us of the truthfulness of this gospel, of which I do not doubt. The plan of salvation has got to be the coolest, craziest, most mindblowing, yet true thing there is. It is worth taking the time to understand it. But even more than that it is worth believing in... if not, all these days of pure exhaustion, fatigue, stress, work, decision making, planning, striving, battling, crying, and struggling would just not be worth it. That goes for my days as a missionary and all of ours as human beings. But it's worth it. And if you don't know that yet, what in the world are ya doin' just sittin' around without knowing and believing that?! Come on people, lets go lets go lets go! Time is tickin'!:)

 
Love
Elder Fox
 
Sorry, I just have to add this real quick--- missionary work is the real deal. Just barely, like literally just barely, I bought bananas from this lady up above the office. I talked to her a little bit and she was like "what's up? long time no see! where have you been??" I didn't really know this lady... at least I thought. I talked to her a little bit more and suddenly remembered, this was a lady I had invited to come to church back when I was with Elder Jensen over a year ago when I was buying bananas one time. She remembered me. But not only that she goes on to say that she had been going to church!! (which is right below her house) she had been going to the wrong ward but  whatever, and she remembered me because, as she explained it, I was the one that had gotten her come to pray at the church. Whatttttt! so we told her we could come teach her etc, etc, So we will be building a program with her, her husband, and family. Man, so great! So sweet! It's amazing what a simple invitation can do. The Lord works in a grand way ladies and gentlemen. Go team!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment