Akory aby yall!
Well, it was a pretty awesome week for us I can't lie. We had the opportunity to go on a cool trip to a city called Fianarantsoa, which is south of Tana, past both Antsirabe and Ambositra (which both have missionaries) on a somewhat decent road that for the last 50 km turns into a rockin game of Elder Fox vs potholes. Final score-- Fox 21, Potholes 15. That's right, read it and weep haha. Anyways, we went down there on Wednesday, went on splits Thurs and Fri, and then drove back on Saturday. There are three sets of missionaries down there working in two branches that are progressing super well right now.
And then that first split I went on on Thurs we spent mountain climbing (or at least that is what it felt like to me) through the hills of Fianarantsoa spreading the Good Word, it was awesome. Fianarantsoa is a huge city, but is somewhat spread out across different mountains, so we had to go up and over one of these to gather some of the lost sheep of Israel. What made me love it even more is that Fianarantsoa is in Betsileo territory (a tribe) who speak a southern dialect that has a lot of similarities with Antandroy, so I felt like I was home again. (although lets be real, it is no where near as cool or crazy as Antandroy is, but it tries hard.) The next split of Fri was on bikes, so naturally I haven't been able to walk since my legs were so destroyed, nor have I been able to sit either. It's a rough life.
On that second split we had an interesting experience. We taught a smart guy who had a bit of an ego and obsession with being logical. Because I was with two pretty young missionaries at the time I had the opportunity to answer some of his questions (the Betsileo accent isn't the easiest to understand). The first of which was about God's power and why it makes sense that he would have to be baptized into the true church. He then went off on some rant about how he believes the Book of Mormon (BiM) to be true, but it just doesn't make sense to him why a true book like that wouldn't reference other scriptures that existed at the time, because after all, he said, the Quran apparently quotes Isaiah, so why doesnt the BiM do anything like that? Hahaha oh man, if only he knew what he got himself into when he asked that question! I had to stifle a laugh as I winked at one of the other elders, pulled out a paper, and wrote down some reading homework for the investigator-- 1 Nefia (Nephi) 1-4, and 2 Nefia 11-24. But it is interesting, as I said to the investigator multiple times, how little the actual proof matters. Yeah, you could have all the doctrine of the church proven to you. I could show you a million and a half scriptures proving our teaching about the priesthood and laying on of hands, or the existence of the BiM, or that there needs to be a living prophet, or anything along those lines, but that is worthless. It is worthless, that is, if you don't pray about it and ask God. Yeah, I can show you the logic and reasoning, but it is up to God to convince you. The Holy Ghost is much better at that than a missionary who knows a few scriptures here and there. Anyway, I just thought it was funny because that was the first time I had ever given the Isaiah chapters as a reading assignment. Hopefully the guy will come around, he really was a cool and smart man.
We also got to work a little bit with Elder and Sis Rakotoarisoa, the senior couple in Fianarantsoa. it was super good. The work they do is a slightly different aspect of missionary work I'm not used to, but is all the same when it comes down to it-- the work of salvation.
A. passed his bap interview! he is good to go for bap on the 8th.
Mom, the new suit cost about 40 bucks, 110,000 ariary. My money is holding up I'd bet, I'm not a big spender. The suits are probably the biggest spend. Also, Skydrive still isnt working, I cant get on it at all. Soooo... yeah.
Grandma, hope all goes well with the hip replacement! You have my prayers and love!
Love you all,
Elder Fox







No comments:
Post a Comment